Sunday, January 20, 2008

Only months after High School

"Now, this restoration shall come to all, both old and young both bond and free, both male and female, both the wicked and the righteouse; and even there shall not so much as a hair of their heads be lost; but every thing shall be restored to its perfect frame, as it is now, or in the body, and shall be brought and be arraigned before the bar of Chrsit the Son, and God the Father, and the Holy Spirit, which is one Eternal God, to be judged according to their works, whether they be good or whether they be evil." Alma 11:44

November 30,2005
Laura was not someone who would open up and talk. In fact Laura slept most of the day and when she did have something to say it was usually negative. Laura enjoyed riding horses and loved music. She loved animals and had a large heart but unfortunately for Laura she was unable to communicate what she truly felt. Laura had many handicaps that held her back and made it so she was unable to function in our society. She took special classes and was helped by many to overcome these handicaps.
Last year I was chosen to help get a new program started at my High school seminary. Instead of meeting with kids that were my age and level every other day I went to a special class were I was partnered with someone who needed help. Throughout the Semester I was asked to help Laura read simplified scriptures, and sing hymns. She was never willing to participate; I didn’t know what to do to help her feel apart. I went and talked to one of our advisers and asked what type of things Laura liked. I found that she loved dogs, because of this I arranged to bring my dog to visit her one day. She loved playing with my dog. After this I found that it was easier to communicate with her. She was such a wonderful individual and one that has impacted my life forever. Her spirit was so strong; she just was unable to express it in the ways that I was used to understanding. I suppose that really she was teaching me, the simplicity in her actions was beautiful and pure; there was nothing fake about her. As she let me see a little bit of her world I was able to see a little bit of how she saw things and what she was experiencing. It is wonderful to have the knowledge that we will be returned to a perfect state in the next life and strong spirits such as Laura’s will be able to shine.

2 comments:

vallarsen49 said...

Word- It will be so amazing to see who's really shining in the next life. There may be some that we never would have expected, and also some that we were fully aware were going to brighten up our paradise :). You will brighten mine :)

Teandra said...

Katie, is this you? That was beautiful!